Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Bonanza Ranch and the end of western civilization as we know it.

So remember how I was talking about visiting the Bonanza ranch as a kid? Well according to this youtube video the attraction closed. :( Not that I was ever into westerns or anything but this backs up my theory that lately everything cool gets torn down to make room for yet another bed bath and beyond. Now I don’t have anything against towels but it seems like boring chain stores are taking over. The next time you are looking at relaxing sounds of the spa cds or bathroom towel warmers or something else you don’t need that badly stop for a moment and think of what once stood where you are. Maybe it was a racetrack where Seabiscuit ran (RIP Bay Meadows) or a really funky 1960s era bowling alley, or some concert venue where some early rock and roll innovator had their last show, or maybe a fun sort of tacky but full of childhood memories rest stop on the way to somewhere fun. (RIP Nut Tree in Vacaville your great beyond really is a Bed Bath and Beyond)

My whole point I guess is just for once don’t go to the Dennys or the Ihop try the weird local place on vacation, and if you see a large dinosaur by the side of the road stop and pose and take a photo because like his real counterparts he is fast on the way to becoming extinct.

I think I still have a cup souvenir from the Bonanza Ranch somewhere. Maybe it’s valuable now?

No comments:

Post a Comment