Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It’s 2010 so where’s my damn hoverboard already!

The other day I had this weird yearning to watch Back to the Future 2 again so I did. (The idea probably got in my head after watching the end of the season finale of Family Guy) Anyway from time to time I will rewatch the original Back to the Future because it’s the best movie ever made, but the sequels not as much. I had not seen bttf 2 in ages because I remember it as being no where near as good as the first one and guess what I was totally right.

The whole movie lacked the heart of the first one. It was more about stunts and stunt casting like Look every relative of Biff has an iff at the end, look Mayor Goldie Wilson’s grandkids are still in politics, look Michael J. Fox is playing his son and daughter! I guess for 3 minutes in 1989 Michael J. Fox was supposed to be the white Eddie Murphy or something.

Then there was the whole hoverboard controversy. After waiting four long years for a sequel to my favorite movie I watched every special I could about it and I remember that during one of them someone said that they could make Hoverboards but they didn’t because of parents groups. Later of course this comment was revealed as a hoax and I felt like a complete and total idiot for falling for it. Even more years passed and I thought my own memory was faulty after all why would the Back to the Future people claim a product existed that didn’t.

Then I watched one of the dvd extras and guess what it was the special. They didn’t label at as that special that confused you circa 1988 they called it a featurette but it just had that whole late 80’s look and Robert Zemeckics (sp?) was wearing those big nerdy late 80s early 90s glasses that everyone paired with a plaid shirt at the time. (Just look at the back of the box of any 90s board game and you will see a guy in those glasses and a plaid shirt grinning wildly as he plays Taboo, or Scattergories, or Guesstures!)

Anyway towards the end of the featurette Robert does say the technology for hoverboards has been around for years but parents groups wouldn’t let them be made. It was the way he said that surprised me. It was totally an offhand remark made in the most casual straight faced voice ever. So I didn’t make it up at all and I no longer feel like I was a stupid kid because the way Zemecicks said it made it sound like a total afterthought. An of by the way there are hoverboards we just don’t feel like making them so eff-you children of America!

What I don’t get is why he made this comment. He didn’t do it jokeingly and he had no motivation for disappointing millions if not billions of people. All I can say is the late great John Hughes would have never made a comment like this.

One last thing about Back to the Future 2 I can’t figure out is how come there are no 80s nostalgia diners ala café 80s yet? There are still plenty of 50s ones like Johnny Rockets, but no 80s ones that I know of. So how about this? If enough of you buy t-shirts I will open one myself. It will have Jolly ranchers and Capri Suns galore not to mention t-shirts for sale.

Look What Back to the Future 2 Got right!
http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Predictions_That_Back_to_the_Future_Part_II_Got_Right

and What Back to the Future 2 Got wrong!

http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Predictions_That_Back_to_the_Future_Part_II_Got_Wrong

Though this is a bit early we still have 5 years to come up with flying cars and pizza that goes from a tiny pizza to a regular pizza in 2 seconds and comes out hot and tasty but not so tasty that you have to use potholders!

Do you remember the official Back to the Future Fan Club? Me neither but this site does,
http://blog.paxholley.net/2010/05/26/remembering-the-back-to-the-future-fan-club/

Next up I am going to watch BTTF 3 of course. Which is celebrating its 20th anniversary. (Feel old yet?)

https://www.bttf.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LOO-044
There is going to be a back to the future card game?! I am so going to buy it.

Most of my zazzle stuff that is even remotely related to the movie is gone but here is mousepad.



You can also check the movie section of my cafepress store for some parody designs.
http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtfort/4249232

No comments:

Post a Comment